The Norwegian government halts the evacuation from Afghanistan due to explosions near the airport in Kabul.
This is reported by Aftenposten.
Norwegian authorities have sent out a notice that the airport is closed to nationals and others who have registered and asked for help with evacuations.
“Norwegian authorities can no longer help with departure. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to send information to everyone who has registered,” the country’s Foreign Ministry said.
“The situation around the airport is very dramatic, and we strongly condemn this attack on civilians. This afternoon we sent out information to Norwegian citizens that we no longer have the option of offering escorted departures because the gates to the airport are now closed,” said Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Soreide.
The minister also said that a Norwegian plane left Kabul on Thursday with just over 100 people on board.
Recall that a Taliban spokesman said that at least 13 people were killed in an explosion near Kabul airport.
Later, the Pentagon stated that there were two explosions — one at Abbey Gate, where the British and US military were stationed, and the other near the Baron Hotel nearby.
According to preliminary data, the explosion was carried out by a suicide bomber of the terrorist group “Islamic state”.
Earlier in the day, the U.S., British and Australian governments told their citizens awaiting evacuation from Kabul not to travel to the airport anytime soon because of the terrorist threat.