Tag Archives: LOCKDOWN

Two weeks of enhanced quarantine begin in Turkey

Turkey has announced the introduction of a “partial lockdown” in connection with the coronavirus epidemic for the first two weeks of the holy month of Ramadan.

This is reported by Hurriyet Daily News.

After a meeting with the government, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the new rules will start on Wednesday evening.

According to them, the curfew on weekdays will start at 7 pm, not 9 as before, and will last until 5 am. During this time, movement between cities will also be prohibited, except in cases of extreme necessity.

Cafes and restaurants will be able to work only for delivery or sell dishes with themselves. Halls for official ceremonies, gyms, etc. will be closed until the end of Ramadan.

Last week, Turkey registered new highs of coronavirus infections, the highest being more than 55,000 per day. On April 12, the figures again exceeded 54 thousand. Against the background of the deterioration of the situation, they first allowed a complete lockdown during the entire Ramadan.

More than 11 million people have already been vaccinated with the coronavirus vaccine, and more than 7 million people have been vaccinated with the second dose.

In Poland, the maximum death rate from COVID-19

On Thursday, the Polish Health Ministry reported 954 new deaths from the coronavirus disease — the most since the beginning of the pandemic.

This is reported by RMF24.

At the same time, the agency noted that such high data on mortality may be the result of late data transmission in connection with the Easter holidays.

Over the past 24 hours, 27,887 new cases of coronavirus have also been detected in Poland.

The total number of people infected with coronavirus in Poland is already 2,499,507. 56,659 patients died.

Hospitals have 34,864 patients with COVID-19, 173 more than on Wednesday. 3362 will require a ventilator, 20 more than the day before.

As reported, Poland continued the current quarantine restrictions to combat the coronavirus epidemic for another 9 days-until April 18, while at first they were planned until April 9.

Recall that since March 20, Poland has returned to the national lockdown — since then, hotels, shopping centers (except for grocery stores, pharmacies, press kiosks), cinemas, theaters, museums, ski slopes, swimming pools, gyms, saunas, restaurants, bars, tennis courts, and casinos have stopped working.

Since March 27, kindergartens and hairdressers, large furniture and building materials stores have been closed. In those stores that are allowed to work, there are restrictions on the number of visitors.

Companies are encouraged to move their employees to remote work whenever possible.

In Germany, they called for the introduction of a “transitional” lockdown

In Germany, the head of North-Rhine — Westphalia, and chairman of the Christian Democratic Union, Armin Laschet, called for the introduction of a “transitional” lockdown in the country to combat the third wave of the coronavirus pandemic. This is reported by Reuters.

“We are close to the goal. We need to make additional efforts, and I call for this today, “ Laschet said.

He added that this measure is necessary because of the high incidence. The minister also recalled the words of experts who say that mass testing for COVID-19 and contact tracking as a method of controlling the spread of the virus work only with a low incidence. According to Laschet, a curfew imposed by local and regional authorities can be added to the new lockdown.

The lockdown may last two to three weeks, Laschet said. He called for the preservation of the remote work mode, as well as not to open public catering establishments for visitors.

In addition, the head of the North Rhine proposed to hold a meeting of Chancellor Angela Merkel and the heads of the regions, scheduled for April 12, this week.

A nationwide regime of restrictive measures has been in effect in Germany since November 2 last year. It began to soften in February 2021.

The ceremony of the Way of the Cross in the Vatican was held in an empty square

For the second year in a row, due to restrictions in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, Pope Francis led the ceremony of the Way of the Cross on Good Friday in St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican, and not at the walls of the Colosseum.

In the evening, the pontiff celebrated the Mass of Remembrance of the Passion in the Vatican Basilica, with a sermon delivered by the preacher of the Papal House, Cardinal Raniero Cantalamessa. According to the tradition that has been in force for the last half-century, shortly after the end of the solemn service, the pontiff was to go to the Colosseum, where, according to legend, the first Christians were martyred.

However, because of the pandemic, a year ago, Pope Francis at nine o’clock in the evening went to the porch of St. Peter’s Cathedral to lead a procession dedicated to the memory of the suffering and death of Jesus Christ.

This time, the Via Crucis ceremony was again held in an empty square in front of the main Catholic church of the world, where a small group of children, accompanied by nuns and teachers, carried the cross with torches in their hands. All of them performed the traditional 14 stations of the Cross, and during each of them, in addition to passages from the Gospel, prayer reflections were read out, which this year were written by children from one of the parishes in Rome and scouts from the Italian region of Umbria.

These simple and direct testimonies reflect the sad realities of the pandemic. Some of the children told about their loneliness during the long months of lockdown, others — about how they saw off their grandfather who was infected with the coronavirus to the hospital, who died a few days later.

The procession bypassed the famous obelisk, brought to Rome from Egypt by Emperor Caligula, and climbed to the porch of the Vatican Basilica, where the cross was handed over to Pope Francis. He himself did not take a direct part in carrying the cross, but only read prayers. In addition to the pontiff, a very small group of cardinals, priests, monks, and laypeople witnessed the Via Crucis. At the end of the hour-long ceremony, the Pope embraced four children — three boys and a girl who ran out onto the cathedral’s porch and left St. Peter’s Square.

Due to the extraordinary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which are currently in effect in the Vatican, all services and rites of Holy Week are held here with the participation of only some clergy and laity. However, a live online broadcast of all these events is carried out by the information portal of the Holy See, Vatican News.

Italy Investigates Threats to the Head of the Ministry of Health for His Support of Lockdown

Police in Italy seized computers and other devices allegedly used by four Italians to send death threats and offensive emails to the country’s health minister to protest his strong stance on lockdown.

This was reported by AP.

Police said Friday that the emails were sent between October and January from foreign computer servers and contained threats of retaliation against Health Minister Roberto Speranza and his family, “including explicit death threats.”

Four Italians in four different Italian cities and between the ages of 35 and 55 were investigated for “escalating threats,” according to a statement from the Carabinieri.

Speranza is part of the camp of the “strict” Italian government, which favors severe restrictions to contain the spread of the virus.

His popularity in national polls was high throughout the pandemic. He was one of the few government ministers to keep his job after Mario Draghi became prime minister in February.