Tag Archives: KARABAKH

French Senate approves resolution on recognition of Garabagh

The French Senate adopted a resolution calling on the government to recognize the so-called Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.

305 senators out of 306 present at the session voted for the resolution.

However, French Foreign Ministry Secretary of State Jean-Baptiste Lemoine said that “unilateral recognition of Karabakh will not benefit anyone” and will not serve mediation efforts. He recalled that France is a member of the OSCE Minsk Group and supports the implementation of the ceasefire agreement reached by the parties to the conflict on November 9.

As the experts explained, the resolution is of recommendatory nature and is not binding for the government.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan called the French Senate’s resolution on recognition of Karabakh a “historic decision”, which he wrote on his Facebook page.

In turn, the French Senate’s resolution was called a “provocation” in Baku.

“Adoption of absolutely biased resolution by the Senate can be regarded only as a provocation. Apparently, the French Armenians widely use the conflict topics for pre-election purposes,” the press service of the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said.

Let us remind that so far no state, including Armenia, has recognized Karabakh’s independence.

Resolution on the independence of Nagorno-Karabakh submitted to the French Senate

The French Senate will consider a resolution “On the need for recognition of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.”

Parliamentarians Bruno Retailer, Patrick Cannet, Herve Marmel, Eliane Assassi, Guillaume Gontard worked on the document. They represent different political factions.

The project is planned to be considered at a meeting of the Senate on November 25.

According to Senator Bruno Retailer, only the independence of Karabakh can protect the rights and freedoms of the residents of this region, who have faced Turkey’s Islamist expansionism.

US authorities expect details of the agreement on Karabakh from Russia

The US State Department, following the talks between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, said they expect the Russian authorities to make public the details of a trilateral agreement to end the military conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh.

It is specified that during the negotiations, Pompeo and Le Drian, among other issues, discussed the Karabakh conflict.[BR][BR]“The interlocutors acknowledged the actions taken by Russia, which led to the ceasefire … At the same time, many questions remain …

For example, the parameters of the agreement, including the role of Turkey,” the State Department said.

Turkey intends to participate in the control over the ceasefire in Karabakh

Earlier, Aliyev said that in addition to the Russian ones, Turkish peacekeepers would be present in Karabakh, but this was denied in Moscow and Yerevan.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday, November 10, that Turkey will participate in monitoring the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, turkgun.com reports.

“A ceasefire agreement was signed yesterday. Now there is a discussion: how it will be monitored, how to control it. But we will conduct the whole process of control over the ceasefire together, and we will continue to be close to Azerbaijan,” Cavusoglu said.

At the same time, the Kremlin said earlier that the issue of the stay of Turkish peacekeepers in Karabakh had not been agreed with anyone, there is no mention of this in the signed agreement.

According to Sputnik Azerbaijan, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev discussed with his Turkish counterpart Recep Erdogan the creation of a Turkish-Russian peacekeeping center to monitor the ceasefire.

“Aliyev and Erdogan had a telephone conversation. During the conversation, the sides highly appreciated the creation of a Turkish-Russian peacekeeping center to monitor the ceasefire and expressed confidence that the center will contribute to ensuring lasting peace in the region,” the statement said.

Earlier, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan explained the signing of an agreement with Azerbaijan on Karabakh by the lack of choice. The NKR say they agreed because of the threat to lose the entire territory.

Baku and Yerevan agreed not to fire on civilians

The parties decided to stop deliberate shelling of civilian objects and actively cooperate in the search and return of the bodies of the victims.

The Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan at a meeting in Geneva agreed not to shoot at civilian targets in Nagorno-Karabakh. This is stated in the statement of the OSCE Minsk Group following the talks in Geneva, published on the organization’s website on Friday, October 30.

It is specified that the talks between the Foreign Ministers of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and Azerbaijan Jeyhun Bakhramov lasted six hours.

“The sides will not deliberately strike civilians or non-military targets in accordance with international humanitarian law. The sides will actively participate in operations to exchange the bodies of the dead,” the OSCE said in a statement.

In addition, Baku and Yerevan will provide the necessary security guarantees for assistance at the International Committee of the Red Cross and the office of the personal representative of the OSCE chairman-in-office.

Within a week, these organizations will receive a list of prisoners of war for exchange.