Tag Archives: CHINA

Chinese company Merlion has started selling the AlphaDog robot-dog at a price of $2400

There is a growing preference for pet robots that use artificial intelligence. The American company Boston Dynamics is a leader in the field of robotics with its famous robotic dog named Spot. Chinese tech company Wellian has developed a Chinese version of the Sport, called the Alpha Dog, which is already on sale in China for 16,000 yuan ($2,400). Compared to the $74,500 price tag for the Spot, this is without a doubt a much cheaper version.

AlphaDog uses sensors and artificial intelligence (AI) to perform tasks, and Wellian says future updates will further expand the robot dog’s capabilities to perform a range of applications, including controlling the visually impaired, barking, and even executing voice commands from its owner.

Walian says the AlphaDog is very similar to a real dog and can reach a top speed of 9 mph, making it one of the fastest robots at the moment. Alpha Dog can also keep its balance even when kicked by people. According to Welian’s chief technical officer Ma Jie, AlphaDog can detect the degree of friction and the condition of the ground to adjust the height, pace, and adapt to the environment.

Wellian has deployed 5G technology so that AlphaDog can perform tasks autonomously. In the first month after the release of Alpha Dog, more than 1,800 units were sold. According to Willian, most of the current orders came from computer developers, tech enthusiasts, and children.

It remains to be seen how soon Welian will launch all the necessary updates that will turn AlphaDog into a guide for visually impaired people, or a dog that can deter intruders with a threatening bark. Obviously, these aspects are being developed by several robotics firms around the world.

The U.S. Confirms Israeli Involvement in Attack on Iran Nuclear Site

Israel is behind the fire at the centrifuge production facility for uranium enrichment in Natanz, Iran. This is the assertion made by a source in The New York Times in an electronic version of the paper published Sunday, June 5.

“A Middle Eastern intelligence official with knowledge of what happened said Israel was responsible for the attack on the Natanz nuclear facility, a powerful explosive device was used,” the paper said.

The newspaper does not say which intelligence service is being referred to.

A member of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC, an elite force in the Iranian military) has allegedly confirmed to the press that an explosive device went off at the Natanz site on July 2.

However, the newspaper explains that it is unable to verify the information about Israel’s involvement in the incident. It is also not known how the device arrived at the site. Israeli officials on Sunday did not give a clear answer to the question of whether the country had organized the sabotage in Iran, the article notes.

It is specified that the incident occurred last week.

Earlier, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behrouz Kamalvandi said there had been no casualties as a result of the incident, but there had been considerable material damage.

The United States Special Envoy for Iran, Brian Hook, said in an interview with Channel 13 on July 1 that the US authorities were considering the possibility of using military force against Iran if it would be necessary to prevent the country from getting nuclear weapons.

On May 27, U.S. State Department chief Mike Pompeo said U.S. authorities gave Iran two months to complete its nuclear program projects, after which they would be subject to sanctions.

In 2015, Iran, the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France, and Germany signed a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). The document implies the lifting of sanctions against Tehran in exchange for an end to nuclear development.

In 2018, the U.S. side withdrew from the treaty, reinstated some sanctions against Iran, and imposed new ones. A year later, President of the Islamic Republic Hassan Rouhani announced that Tehran was suspending some of its obligations under the nuclear deal.

Traffic jam again: a new state of emergency in Suez Canal

The tanker ran aground in the Suez Canal, almost completely blocking it.

“Indeed, the ship ran a little aground, but the incident is over and the ship is already on the move,” the source said in response to a question about whether there are problems with the Minerva Nike tanker flying the Greek flag.

The incident occurred in the south of the canal near the entrance to the wide part of the canal-the Big Bitter Lake. At the time of the incident, there were two Suez Canal tugs near the tanker.

All the ships that were in the “traffic jam” passed the Suez Canal

On April 3, all 422 vessels caught in a “traffic jam” due to the stranded container ship Ever Given passed through the Suez Canal, the head of the canal administration, Osama Rabia, said on Saturday.

“All 422 vessels with a total cargo capacity of 22 million tons, waiting in line after the Ever Given incident, passed through the Suez Canal,” Rabia said in a statement.

He noted that the operation was completed in record time and is an achievement of the channel’s employees.

The canal was open around the clock for the passage of ships, in contrast to the usual mode of operation.

Damage from an emergency

The amount of damage from the blocking of the Suez Canal by a container ship can reach $1 billion, the head of the waterway administration, Osama Rabia, noted on April 1.

“Estimates, God willing, will reach $1 billion,” he said on the Sada Elbalad TV channel.
The head of the Suez Canal Administration added that this amount includes both the damage caused by the blockage and the costs associated with lifting the ship from the shoal.

He noted that calculations will be carried out taking into account all the funds used from the first day of the incident: spending on the work of tugs, dredging vessels that worked around the clock.

On March 23, the 400-meter-long container ship Ever Given, en route from China to Rotterdam, ran aground on the 151st kilometer of the channel, blocking it for six days and blocking traffic. On Monday, the ship was taken off the shoal after several attempts, more than 15 tugboats participated in the operation, and navigation resumed.

Too big a ship?

Evangelos Bulugouris, Professor of Naval Architecture, Oceanology and Marine Engineering at the University of Strathclyde, commented on the incident on the Suez Canal with the ship Ever Given. He noted that an investigation is currently underway into the cause of the accident of the Ever Given vessel, which should say to what extent the size of the vessel is to blame. Judging by previous incidents, strong winds, faulty machinery, and even the human factor are equally to blame.

If the size of the ship Ever Given was to blame for the accident, one would expect other mega-ships that have been passing through the Suez Canal for years to experience similar difficulties. But superficial accident statistics show that only two or three such incidents involving megacorps occur in the channel per year out of 19,000 annual crossings.

In most cases, these are minor accidents that cause minor disruptions, and they occur at such a low frequency that an Ever Given ship accident should not be interpreted as evidence that the container ships have become too large.

But given that the impact of the Ever Given container ship accident was so severe, new maritime safety measures will be put in place to avoid similar incidents in the future, such as redesigning the vessel, improving pilot training, using tugs as channel escorts, autonomous guidance systems, and widening waterways.

Regardless of the new safety measures, the accident of the ship Ever Given may well be considered as an unpredictable isolated incident, and not a sign of future deplorable events. As a result, there is currently little evidence that container ships have become too large or that the shortcomings of such mega-ships should lead to accidents and breakdowns.

Chinese tech giants stocks remain industry-leading

Despite increased pressure from Chinese regulators on the country’s largest technology companies Alibaba and Tencent, their shares remain leading in the Chinese industry. This is reported by the publication PaySpace Magazine, referring to the opinions of experts.

Increased interest in these companies from government agencies slightly reduced the value of their shares in the previous few days, which led to a decline in the securities of other representatives of this area of the Chinese economy.

The quotes of the leading Internet companies in China are also negatively affected by the information that their shares may be excluded from the US stock indexes if they do not provide the necessary reports on the state of their finances to US regulators.

However, even all these factors, which have a negative effect on the securities of Alibaba and Tencent, could not reduce their leading role in the Chinese technology industry.

Scandal: Czech Deputy Prime Minister called Russia to build nuclear power plants

The opposition demands to dismiss the Minister of Industry Karel Havlicek for ignoring the demands of the special services

Five opposition parties in the Czech parliament are calling for the removal of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Industry, Trade, and Transport Karel Havlicek, who invited Russia to participate in the construction of a new unit of the Dukovany nuclear power plant.

This was reported on April 1 by iDnes.

The parties “Pirates”, TOP 09, “Measures and Independence”, the Civil Democratic Party, and the Christian Democratic Union-Czechoslovak People’s Party recalled that for national security purposes, the Czech intelligence service demanded that China and Russia be excluded from the tender.

However, the Russian energy giant Rosatom was among the four potential partners of the nuclear program, along with EDF (France), Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (South Korea), and Westinghouse Electric (USA-Japan).

“Minister Havlicek bypassed the government, bypassed the agreement that was in the hall of the Chamber of Deputies, and invited Russia to the so–called security review,” said the leader of the “Pirates” Ivan Bartos.

He also recalled the scandal with the dismissal of the government commissioner for atomic Energy Yaroslav Mila, who opposed the participation of Rosatom in the program.

In turn, the chairman of the Civic Democratic Party, Petr Fiala, called Russia’s admission to the project “an extremely dangerous and short-sighted step”, as well as” games with national security and the future “ of the country. He also recalled that the Kremlin is trying to strengthen its position in Central Europe in every possible way.

Earlier, another scandal broke out in the Czech Republic-President Milos Zeman demanded to dismiss ministers who oppose the simplified legalization of the Russian vaccine against the coronavirus “Sputnik V”. The opposition called him an imbecile for this.