The EU is aware of reports about Turkey’s transfer of Syrian fighters to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone, the Foreign Service Speaker said.
The European Union calls on the parties to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to stop fighting. EU Foreign Affairs Speaker Peter Stano told a briefing in Brussels on Monday, September 28.
“We also call on all players in the region to refrain from any form of interference in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he said.
“But so far we have not seen any facts to support that information. In this context, we can only reiterate our call to refrain from any foreign intervention,” he said.
Earlier, representatives of the parties made allegations that their adversary is using mercenaries from Syria.
Stano noted that the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrel held telephone conversations with the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan at the weekend, during which he stressed that the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh has no military solution.
According to him, Borrel has not yet discussed this situation with the leadership of the leading states of the region, in particular, Russia and Turkey.
Let us remind that on the morning of September 27, Armenia and Azerbaijan resumed hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh, accusing each other of shelling the border territories and provoking violence.